Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sprinting

I've decided that I will add sprinting to my fitness routine. The problem is that, at this point, I know I cannot even run.

Fifteen years ago, I tried to jog and nearly tripped over myself. At the time, it had been 10 years since I had finished high-school and as many years since I had last run. The greatest obstacle was not lack of strength or being short of breath. Rather, I found (to my surprise) that I did not have the coordination anymore. Somehow I had forgotten how to run.

With these thoughts in mind, I went to a playground nearby yesterday. I chose an arbitrary 40-50 meters of level ground and carefully broke into a run. It was uncomfortable. I quickly noticed I was doing many things wrong. For instance, I was running on the tips of my toes. Why? I have no idea. At each step, my skeleton seemed to be crashing against the ground. I must have looked quite ridiculous too.

I decided to focus on form before anything else. I would break into a run and return walking. Gradually, my feet were landing correctly, heel first.

I ran back and forth about a dozen times. I never broke into a sweat or was out of breath.

It is progress so I feel I made a good start.